Tuesday 20 April 2010

Tetsuo



After the animator M dot Strange on his vlog, recommended that I check this out I expecting something wacky. For those who don't know M dot Strange is an American indie animator who's know best for is feature film length animation "We Are the Strange" and this recommendation of his came as a result of his rant on how up and coming film makers should push boundaries. As much as I propose on doing that I think "Tetsuo the Iron Man" has slightly too much of the avant garde irrationality in it. Hey call me boring, call me stupid but this film was just too incomprehensibly weird to strike any chords with me and that also goes for a million and one other films of this nature (naming no names). That said, whilst I won't be watching this film again I have had my inspiration fires stoked. The use of old black and white 16mm film fits the indie horror genre brilliantly. Anyone I think can also appreciate the exemplary costume/prop design of all those various metal bits and bobs. Lastly though I'd like to make a special mention regarding the animation. Whilst I'm not as big on the animation front as I am on movies, I'm a sucker for a nice bit of pixilation and this film knows just how to use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment