Tuesday 9 March 2010

I think I might start gaming again...

Up until the point I played this game I had for a wile been an ex-gamer as after a spell of addiction I felt there was little point in indulging in mindless entertainment. After playing Bioshock 2 however I rethought my stance on gaming and what I so easily dubbed it.


For me there are two main reasons why this game this far from the brain rotting virtual crack I used to indulge in back in the day. These reasons are the same reasons why people will happily spend hours watching films and deem them "mind expanding"

The prequel to this game won a BAFTA for its sound design and although I've never played the prequel I'm sure this game's noises are just as sublime if not more. Round every corner there are carefully crafted ambient sounds as well as numerous snippets which form an integral part of the story. The sound even goes as far as to guiding you on your quest by hinting at which path to take next or what to interact with.

Secondly, at the core of this game is an malleable story-line that requires the player to make a variety of decisions. Having only played the first level I can't comment on Bioshock 2 but if the prequel is anything to go by a plot full twists, turns and ultimately the realisation that one has been deceived into acting amorally, make the player question their actions and ethics. Surly it's normally only films and books that make us do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment