Sunday 26 September 2010

This is what it's all about.

So I've just got back to college for my second year and have been set quite an exciting brief for our digital film production and visual effects module; designing a title sequence. The film must however be of a text that we have read and that hasn't already been made into a film. The final piece has to be 30-45 seconds and must be entirely individual, i.e no need to crew on anyone's work or work as a team.

Now as you may know by now I'm quite interested in documentary film making and I'd be lying if I said I'd never want at some point to try and make the next Bowling for Columbine...
Well actually mabye I would be, because despite that film's brilliance it is (like all documentary films) a bit too err, "documentaryry". By that I'm referring to how documentaries are from a Director of Photography's point of view pretty basic. The architecture of talking heads, voice overs and vox pops doesn't leave the poor old D.O.P with much room for fun and games. So the kind of film that I would be proposing here would be far more than one's standard information fest. This book is made up of lots of references to popular culture as well as familiar, comprehensive modern day situations as examples, so I feel that there are plenty of opportunities to illustrate things using actors and interesting shots without the encyclopaedic overload.

I guess this is a bit of a tangent but I just felt that I might as well lay out how I imagine the film panning out or more to the point stress that this film won't be anything like what one might expect. As far as first ideas go regarding the look of the title sequence, my first thoughts are something like the intro of Q.I; light hearted and inquisitive with many worldly images flying past. I would certainly make the music a little more on the serious side though!

No comments:

Post a Comment