Sunday 31 January 2010

The Animatrix

I can't believe I didn't see this earlier! As a Matrix fan (isn't everyone?), one always wants to squeeze more juice out of lemon. Sadly the lemon was squeezed a little too much and that was even before the trilogy had ended!

Then on Sunday night I remembered The Animatrix and felt like giving the Matrix lemon one last squeeze. The result was surprisingly sweeter than nectar itself.


The Animatrix is collectively a series of nine short films each with with their own unique style of animation apart from two that share the same style as one is a sequel to another. They all employ what seems to be a clever fusion of drawing, C.G.I and what looks like rotoskopting to create some mesmerizing results. For me the peak of visual madness is achieved in the above clip where I can safely say I have no idea what is going on!

I think the real selling point of this series of short films is that it addresses so many questions that one may have had whilst watching the films as it doesn't focus around the characters we are familiar with such as Neo, Trinity and Morpheus (although some do briefly emerge) but with characters most of which we haven't come across in the films who are merely associated with the Matrix tale. Each film gives the viewer a whole new angle on the saga we all know and love and in way breathes new life into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment