Friday 15 January 2010

Trees and Their Power (of Now)

One thing that really spoke to me from Mr Tolle's book was the way in which he spoke of how nature is timeless, it only exists in the now. He mentions how if one were to ask a tree the time the tree wouldn't understand. The tree would only be able to declare the time to be now. This is of course because trees simply exist, they just "are" as opposed to being the comparatively emotionally complicated creatures, gripped by desire for sensory pleasure. Now yes, I know trees are blessed by not having the beautifully complex brain that's found within the humans of today that makes us such irrational, suffering creatures however Tolle and many Zen masters claim to have learnt from the existence of such beings.

This Zen quote is a good example;

"Just think of the trees: they let the birds perch and fly with no intention to call them when they come and no longing for their return when they fly away. It people's hearts can be like the trees, they will not be off the way."

Thanks to this quote I all of a sudden have a rather clearer idea of depicting the effect the concept of time has on human consciousness; I can investigate time in relation to unconscious beings and compare the results with that of human consciousness.

Yes I know the above may not seem clear....

Bare with me, all will be revealed in the next post.


For now I feel a little help from some good tree photos would be handy and for that I've picked out a nice little book called...

wait for it....

"Trees".

It's part of the magnum photos series and contains a number of different photographers' works. Below are some of my favourites.






No comments:

Post a Comment