Tuesday 9 February 2010

In My Shell

After starting out with looking a Japanese pods and architecture I felt that seeing a futuristic anime would give me another source of influence for futuristic design. The very popular Ghost in the Shell had been on my to see list for some time so I really had no excuse.

Many of the interiors were quite similar to those of Kurokawa; simple and "blocky". What really jumped out at me though were the costumes that the police wore. They were nicely padded and not to ostentatious. The bullet proof vests the policemen wear shown in the photo at the bottom are the lines I'm thinking along regarding the design for uniforms.

What also caught my eye were the scenes involving the exposure of robot's innards and other various situations where amorphous masses of wires shown to be spewing out. Images such as the one below of only the Robot's torso with wires protruding beneath are a beautifully chaotic juxtaposition of evidence of the complicated work involved in creating the wide array electronic contraptions, with the simple design that is placed over these structures in order to tidy it up.














No comments:

Post a Comment