Tuesday 23 February 2010

Scripting!

This was a session that I was eager to sink my teeth into yet equally eager to never bother with again! Just like complicated Mathematics or breakdancing scripting is something that I respect hugely and would love to be able to do well yet it's actual execution still gets on my tits and sometime makes me wonder why bother; just for record, no I don't do Maths any more and yes I can breakdance a little.


We tackled two basic scripts. We first learnt how to make objects rotate on an axis. Although at the time I was slightly frustrated with it all (I'm dyslexic and copying from a projector is kryptonite to me) I managed to finally bash in the correct code into the object contents box. Unfortunately I gave the wrong value to the wrong axis and thus my helicopter blade turns on the x axis not the y axis and looks a bit weird. If you look closely at the photo you'll see my avatar's helicopter propeller is at a bizarre angle. I guess I should change it when I have a moment.

Then we tackled a script designed to prompt textures to move and thus allowing for the creation of moving water. We created a simple cube and applied a water texture to it. Then we opened up the content editor and bashed in another script to govern the movement of the texture over the cube. Having saved the script to the texture, the texture began to move across the surface of the cube. Firstly though the texture went the wrong way. What to do ahh!!! I was bamboozled! Do need to play around with the script? "No" my tutor calmly told me, I just need to rotate the texture!

No comments:

Post a Comment