Friday 5 February 2010

Second Life; primitives and first impressions

After a long time getting frustrated with Maya and all its various pitfalls and options it was very nice to get to grips with a nice simple interface. Some may call it clunky and basic and I see what they mean but for me that's a small price to pay for ease of use.

Below is my nice little flag I made, attached
with ease to my naked avatar's hand.
Customising one's avatar is simple there's a nice array of obvious parameters covering in enough detail every major part of the body and similar parameters for any item of clothing one may so desire to add.

What really appeals to me about second life is of course is modeling ability. To create any shape one desires all that is needed is the right combination of primitives. With the simple option of "attach" its just like have one's own virtual Lego. It's basically like working with polygon primitives in Maya but with all one's various options (that are actually relevant) being placed intuitively where one expects them to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment