Thursday 28 April 2011

Working in America

There is one place other than England that I am seriously considering working in. America, and specifically, San Francisco. Now whilst I've been been to America a few times, I have in fact never been to anywhere on the West Coast. Still from what I have so far gathered about San Francisco it seems like paradise. So the first port of call is to go there, which I plan on doing as soon as I've left Art College. In the meantime I think it would be wise to research their immigration laws so that I know what I'm up against.

The majority of American work Visas are Non-Immigrant Visas and they only allow foreign workers temporary residency so they can live and work in America. There are still a variety of Visas all with variations of length of stay and many have room for holders to extend their stay providing they meet the requirements.

Here are a list of possible Visas that I may be needing, which one will depend of course on my exact job and circumstances.



Specialty Workers (H1B Visa):

Applies to foreigners entering America to perform services in a speciality occupation.



Temporary Skilled or Unskilled Workers (H2B Visa):

This facilitates the entry of foreign workers who wish to enter America to engage in non-agricultural employment which is seasonal, intermittent, a peak load need, or a one-time occurrence.



Intracompany Transferess (L1 Visa):

The L1 category applies to foreigners who work for a company with a parent, subsidy, branch, or affiliate in America. Applicants must be employed in America in a managerial or executive capacity (L1A Visa) or as a person with a specialized knowledge (L1B Visa).



Employment-based Preference Visas:

The employment based visa preference system allows American employers to petition the USCIS for permanent residency on behalf of certain employees who may qualify.


No comments:

Post a Comment