Friday 4 December 2009

My Favorite Scene From The World's Favorite Film

This certainly isn't my favorite film but it's one of my favorites. This scene for me however sums up the main appeal.



Firstly I find the scene to be perfectly composed. The focal point is of course Charles Kane, sat down at his desk. His ex-guardian is trying to persuade him from continuing to run a newspaper that is loosing money, of course Mr Kane is having none of it. Kane's position of power is illustrated perfectly here by visually the seemingly opposite situation of his ex-guardian having the upper hand by him standing tall. However this is not the case as Charles remains calm and composed before being swept up in a fit of passion. Then comes a very inspirational line which for me is the essence of what being a creative entrepreneur is all about; "At the rate of a million dollars a year I'd have to close this place in... 60 years". It is lines like these that really stir up the creative passion in me and make me want to be the kind of person who is willing to sacrifice their entire life savings for the love of their artwork.

1 comment:

  1. Brillient, absolute brilliance. I haven't seen this film in ages! Gonna have to buy to watch again!

    ReplyDelete