Friday 11 December 2009

This Is An Exception...

In a previous post I mentioned my reasons for not being mad keen on long Animations due to their ability to make fantasy become mundane after a short wile.
Spirited Away by Hayao Miyazaki in the exception that proves the rule.



The reason why this film works for me is because it is completely and utterly wacky to such an an extent that for me it never ceases to amaze. When I watch the vast majority of animations I loose touch with their surreal appeal after a short wile due to me simply becoming accustomed to it and it becoming my reality. This film is a whole different kettle of fish. Every single minute of this film is packed with such abnormality and such surprise that it keeps one in a constant sense of wonder. One feels like a child again as the pretty colours and flamboyant characters leap out from all angles.

Never has the annoyingly contradictory yet in this case remarkably useful phrase "expect the unexpected" been so relevant.

No comments:

Post a Comment