Thursday 10 December 2009

Reality vs La La Land

I know I've rabbited on about this before, but I just can't help myself.

Whilst I will always prefer a good bit of well made film, a little slice of animation in just the right place will always go a long way. In this case it goes the whole nine yards!

In a film about narcotics the subject of reality is an easy one to touch upon. Here, reality and a stylized take on a drug induced state are brilliantly juxtaposed and for me highlight what I like about animation.



For me Animation is a nice escape from reality. In a comparatively mundane world a bit of the colorful surrealism that animation can bring you is always nice. However for me, after a short wile, the animation becomes your reality, as one has gotten used to it.

In the above little sequence though, the director has got it just right. He mirrors one of the character's trips into his own his drug induced world, by suddenly throwing the viewer straight into his imagination and thus being effective by firstly providing a sudden change of scene and more importantly providing the viewer with a feeling similar to an abrupt, drug induced detachment from reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment