Wednesday 5 May 2010

My Calling?

I haven't seen that many feature length documentaries. So the other day I thought I'd check out Michael Moore's Bowling for Columbine. This could quite well be the most important film I will have ever seen....


Thanks to this film I'm now seriously entertaining the thought of making documentaries for a living. As a guy who likes interesting subjects and wants to broaden his mind whilst still working with pretty pictures I feel this genre is made for me. I also feel that such a genre is probably the only form of cinema that has the capacity to be somewhat altruistic. Yes I'm sure Michael Moore made a killing on this film but unlike every egotistical Hollywood nutter, Moore actually wants to help the world by enlightening them, not just entertaining them. Most importantly, in a bizarre kind of way I feel documentary has the most scope for mixed media because as much as I may want to specialize in movies, I wouldn't mind adding bits of animation and other different moving image techniques. Because one is simply trying to convey information as opposed to emotionally charged information one doesn't have to ensure the same level of emotional continuity as your average Hollywood blockbuster. You can jump from animation sequence, to interview to monologue within the space of five minutes!

No comments:

Post a Comment