Thursday 20 January 2011

Effective Virals

I thought I'd go through a few of my favorite viral adverts and talk about what makes a good one.

This first one-one of a series-was admittedly shown a fair bit on the T.V but I feel it deserves recognition as a viral advert as it got pretty popular on Youtube. You could say that it was a viral advert that happened to be shown on T.V. I think these ads had such great viral appeal because they were both abundant and had a killer jingle at the end. They were also short and sweet. If you combine that with the raw bread and butter of actually being funny and well directed then I feel there's a formula right there for a successful viral.




This viral for Diesel is my personal favorite. It's just clever really. Obviously this would never be shown on T.V so this means that this ad only reaches certain people. Due to its nature-edgy, provocative and daring-it would probably be more likely find its way to people who are of that nature; like mined people will share it amongst their friends. Also anyone into animation will find this amusing. So buy making such a niche advert, Diesel have cunningly ensured that their edgy, niche clothing brand strikes right at their target market.



It is purely a coincidence that two out of my three favorite viral adverts depict scenes of a sexual nature. This last advert has a similar edgy appeal to the one above I feel. I think it really works well though thanks to its more humorous angle on proper condom use, in previous year such ads have often been a little too scary or preachy. What's also brilliant about this video is that it magically manages to be both explicit and innocently cheeky at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment