Friday 28 January 2011

Vimeo Awards

The Vimeo Awards 2010 - Complete Show from Vimeo Festival on Vimeo.



Liars "Scissor" from A Bruntel on Vimeo.



Last Minutes with ODEN from phos pictures on Vimeo.

A friend of mine showed me the awards other day. All the entries are well worth a watch and from a budding music video and (indie) film maker's point of view (mine) this is a good showcase of what's shaking in the edgy creative world of Vimeo. The way I see it, you have "the golden age of Hollywood" on one end of the spectrum and Vimeo on the other in that if the golden age was a closed industry that required numerous connections and funds to enter (and still does), Vimeo requires comparatively very few. Seeing as I'm neither a Coppola nor a Rothschild, Vimeo is made for me. It is also I feel a platform that would harbor any of my creations regardless of my background simply because I feel that whilst I'm sure it started off as a platform for those who couldn't afford anywhere else, I believe that in many cases it has become the optimum platform for certain breeds of edgy viral art. For example, could you really see any better place for a motion graphics artist to showcase their latest three minute wonder? I couldn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment