Sunday 6 March 2011

Me and my crystal ball

For our creative industries module we have been asked to write a report on how we plan on advancing our enterprise. This will consist of outlining basically three elements;


Where I am at the moment,
Where I want to be in ten or so years,
How I propose to get there.

Right now I have a basic understanding of Maya, After Effects, Photoshop and Final Cut and feel that I am currently most capable of making music videos. This probably has something to do with my interest in music and my habit or ability to blend my senses when experiencing audio or visual stimuli, i.e music and video are to me inseparable. All my favorite films have good soundtracks and all my favorite songs conjure up the nicest most vivid images.

In ten years or so I would love to be directing music videos professionally. I am well aware that there is not initially a lot of money in them, however from the information i've gathered so far from those in the industry I feel I have an idea as to how to go about it.

Firstly I know full well that to succeed in many industries it is all about who you know. So one hard and fast rule I plan on sticking by is to simply get out of the house. I'm not a gamer and don't plan to be and thus have very little reason to stay inside when not working or socializing. The concept of work hard play hard is very wise, one should just make sure that a balance is struck. In order to network better I think the best job I could get would be running on film sets. This is a great way to meet lots of people and it gets you used to the industry environment. I already have a few friends who work in the industry so I'm sure they would be happy to lend some advice. I also plan on purchasing a decent and affordable camera just so I can do any bit of freelance work that pops up. Even now my friends are asking me to little filming and editing jobs for them.


Here is someone who I feel serves as a good model to aim for. Spike Jonze is one of the world's biggest music video directors. He started out making cheap skate videos though! Something I'd love to do myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment