Saturday 7 May 2011

My Mate

I started in fact by getting my mate to write the script as I thought I wouldn't have time.

Here's the initial email I sent to him...


So about this script. Firstly I'll line out all the essentials.




1. It's a mockumentary, involving people talking straight to the camera just like how they do in the office. If you haven't seen the office just hit youtube until you know what I'm on about.


2. It's primarily about the life of a professional lookalike although we do see elements of the celebrity's life.


3. The tone of the film is light with plenty of comedy however this is still only a path to the film's overall wise message.


4. The wise message: the concept of celebrity-that someone more important just because more people than usual know about that person-is totally stupid and that paying through the nose for an "imitation" of celebrity (the lookalike) is even more ridiculous.



Those four points make up the general idea. The following are ideas I've had on how one might go about things. Some I feel are almost essential as I can't see a better option and others are "just ideas". Still, these you can take or leave.



1. Make the celebrity a bit of twat and a bit stupid, a nice dose of arrogance should ensure this, like Liam Gallagher.


2. The lookalike should be equally stupid but still lovable. They are over the moon and a bit confused by the fact that they are being paid to do nothing yet we don't really blame them for it because it's the celebrity obsessed public that are really to blame. All big brother winners exemplify this.


3. You could exaggerate things tremendously by making the celebrity's reason for fame totally stupid. For example they once slept with Jedward's accountant.


4. Despite what people say about it these days I find the tone of skins to be rather a good example for what I'm aiming for. Skins is funny yet at the end of the day it's an edgy drama. I feel it worked/works because the overall message picks up where the comedy leaves off and vise versa. If our project were to be a full blown comedy we'd have to be ex footlights geniuses. If this were a serous thought provoking drama or documentary we'd have do bare research and still be total geniuses. The fact that we are doing something kind of original makes it all easier.



Do whatever research you like, picking up a few of those silly glossy mags for example might help. The sillier the better like NOW and MORE.


One thing that I STRONGLY recommend for inspiration is watching Banksy's film Exit Through the Giftshop. Not only is it amazing but it has quite a similar vibe to what we are trying to do: send a thought provoking message whilst poking fun.



Attatched are links to a script for a film that I worked on over the summer and link to another good film. These are just to help familiarize you with "screenplay" writing.


https://www.yousendit.com/download/RlRwVWRzR3N3NUpjR0E9PQ


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptation_(film)



I think that's it. I nearly alway have my phone so ask me anything anytime. Happy new year!



No comments:

Post a Comment