Sunday 7 November 2010

Avant Garde

I thought I'd write a quick review for a little something I went to the other day at the Hyde Park Picture house in Leeds.


It was Friday evening and my classmates and I, went on down to see the finals of an avant-garde film competition. I'm going to keep this short but certainly not sweet because although it was free, I can safely say that this was a massive waste of energy and boring as hell, I can't even remember the name of the event it was that insignificant. It all consisted of one incomprehensible film after another. They were basically cliched art films. Some involved nudity and feces, others involved crude filming of irrelevant material with badly composed shots and meaningless scripts. I say meaningless but hey, maybe I and my four mates are just simple minded inartistic Philistines who can't appreciate the finer aspects of life. But no seriously, I am still very much of the opinion that my friends and I are in fact normal human beings who are clever enough to know that cinema that is incomprehensible for the sake of it is not art but actually just a cheap and deceptive excuse for it. There were two o.k films but even those were nothing special and without blowing my own horn I can safely say that my friends and I can produce better work. Anyway at least we all learnt what kind of films not to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment