Wednesday 10 November 2010

Film Festival 1



The other day I went along to my first event at the Leeds film festival, to see a Norwegian film entitled "The Bothersome Man". I can safely say that I didn't know what to expect seeing as I'm not particularly familiar with Norwegian cinema and I've never been to a film festival before. Anyway I was eager to try something new and it wasn't as if I had much to loose (it only cost a fiver).

The film involved the story of a twenty to thirty something man who arrives in a Norwegian city with no recollection of how he got there. He manages to acquire a "respectable" life on paper whilst witnessing numerous surreal and uncanny goings on. Without giving too much away, soon he starts to stray from this normal life and goes against the grain to such an extent that the normal world spits him out, leaving him to search for another way of living. In short I feel this film, with its mixture of black humour and moderate surrealism is meant to be an attack in the supposed "desired life" and how we have become so obsessed with obtaining it we all too easily turn into unquestioning zombies who are numb to the question of whether or not they are actually living their lives. The protagonist in this film illustrates what society can often do to those who don't conform to this way of living.

No comments:

Post a Comment