Tuesday 2 November 2010

Traditional Mentors

Just been given our game art brief to design a non player, 3D, humanoid, game character archetype using Maya. I thought I would pick a mentor type character so to start off, I'm looking at a few examples, some more obvious than others.

Traditional Mentors











































When I hear the word mentor the image of a wise old man is the first image that comes into my head. Usually this man has a beard and usually wise old men with beards are also wizards or Jedi. All these four characters I feel have an immortal quality to them, juxtaposed with their seeming weekness. Yes they may appear to me withered old men but all of the above kick some serious arse and wild more power than any pretty boy protagonist. They also have a huge level of humility within them which is especially prominent considering they possess skills and traits that any normal person would show off and brag about. This I feel goes hand in hand with their underlying calm confidence: not only are they highly skilled and wise but they are so calmly aware of it they only exercise their talents when needed.



No comments:

Post a Comment