Wednesday 17 November 2010

Film Festival 2

I thought I would catch more of the festival while I still could so I quickly bought a ticket one afternoon to see a film entitled "R U There? This film sounded up my street from the word go as the story revolved around a professional gamer and questions surrounding the nature of reality. The story is simple and there are only really two prominent characters. The film consists of a world champion gamer travelling to Taipei to compete in a gaming championship. Whilst in his hotel he meets a local girl who despite their lack of language manages to make him take a break from his gaming. A lot of this break involves the two of them conversing in the online world Second Life-somthing I was all too familiar with just under a year ago. There a numerous blatent parallels with the film "Lost in Translation" and whilst I did quite enjoy watching R U There? it is still a rather cheap imitation. Never the less it was an entertaining view even if only to see a film cleverly incorporate machinima into a film and so on the ratings card I ended up giving it three out of five stars.

1 comment:

  1. At some point it woud be good to see you actually using theory. Earlier on you stated that you are interested in documentary film and Buddhism. Is there anything in Commumication theory that overlaps these concerns?

    ReplyDelete