Thursday 4 November 2010

My Mentors















These are characters who are inspirational to me and thus I have pictures of them on my bedroom wall...

Starting from the top left going clockwise...

Jan and Rainy from the film Into the Wild are a hippy couple that the main character runs into on two separate occasions. They don't appear prominently as mentors during the film and it is definitely arguable that they are even mentors at all! For me they symbolize an enlightened way of living. They don't concern themselves with anything that isn't entirely necessary or beautiful all they need is each other, their van, their dog a little money from selling bric a brac for petrol and other supplies and most importantly the sky/trees/open road in general. They are some of the happiest people I have ever come across. Into the wild was based on a true story I have you know and whilst I'm certainly not sure that the real versions of these characters were akin to their film portrayals, I know for a fact that their is a thriving community of these sorts of people throughout California and the rest of the world. I.e there are lots of real life Jan and Raineys.

I first came across Norman Cook when I was about ten when I bought his album "you've come a long long way baby". To this day he still is one of my favourite artists and on top of all that he has a chactacter I can't help but look up to. As well as being a throughly successful yet modest d.j, he has a unique form lovable, child irrevence that is rarely found within anyone who commands any form of respect.

Finally we come to my favourite character of the lot. I certainly by no means watch the O.C any more but Sandy Cohen the philanthropic, surfer lawer originally from the streets of the bronx still holds a special place in my heart-and on my wall. Sandy Cohen is just ethical and not a poncy preachy way either. He always knows what to do and is always right yet perfectly accepting that he could be wrong. Everybody loves him for it whilst he stopps it from going to his head and carries on stopping everyone around him from loosing theirs. He's also a real man on a level deeper than the overly confident, macho apha male type. No surprise that his wife's smoking hot then!

No comments:

Post a Comment